PEZ create dispensers to hold their candy pellets. The tops, and sometimes also the bodies, of these dispensers are given different shapes, originally to make them more appealing to youngsters. The different models are however also very collectable.
PEZ wiki includes a list of dispensers.
Not all dispensers have the same design; they are grouped into these types:
- Classic dispensers
- Cuddly dispensers
- Plus dispensers
- Mini dispensers
- Giant dispensers
The dispensers are usually shaped to hold one pack of candy. A mechanism in the dispenser makes a pellet available each time the head of the dispenser is pushed backward. The giant dispensers use a similar mechanism to dispense entire packs of pellets.
The dispensers are patented. Different patents were valid in different years:
- BOX Patent (oldest patent, usually found with a "flower" under the word patent - most likely a place holder since PEZ BOX was patent pending), pre 1950's
- DBP (Deutsches Bundes Patent) 818 829, 1950's
- Patent 2.620.061, from 1952 to 1968.
- Patent 3.410.455, from 1968 to 1974.
- Patent 3.845.882, from 1974 to 1976.
- Patent 3.942.683, from 1976 to 1990.
- Patent 4.966.305, since 1990.
- Patent 5.984.285, since 2002.